When it comes to damaged roofs, everything can feel like an emergency. Your roof protects not only you and your family but also everything in your home. If something goes wrong you want to fix it immediately. That’s where Roof Life of Oregon’s emergency roof repair team comes in.
At Roof Life of Oregon, we do everything we can to provide excellent service, including providing Portland residents with 24-hour assistance. No matter what time, we’ll be here to talk through your roof emergency and get you the expert assistance you need.
What Requires Emergency Repair for Your Roof?
Roof leaks are the most common emergency roof repair. Many homeowners also experience damage from fallen objects or debris, including tree branches and other natural elements. Although it’s uncommon that your home would completely flood from a leaky roof, there are other dangerous factors to consider.
For example, water leaking into the walls of your home can cause electrical issues that can quickly turn into a fire hazard or worse. Water also compromises the integrity of your roof. If you wait too long, you might find that a small leak leaves a huge hole in your roof. The best thing to do with any roof damage is to call us immediately. We will come to your home and assess the issue as soon as possible. It’s better to be safe than in danger of major damage to yourself or your possessions. These should always be considered an emergency roof leak.
Call Roof Life of Oregon at 503-925-0125 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to get expert guidance for all your roofing emergencies.
How Do I Know My Roof Is Leaking
As we mentioned, most often when you have a leaking roof, the evidence is hidden. It’s very rare that we see huge, obvious leaks. More common is a slow and steady leak that damages your roof over time. This is especially true of homeowners who do not do regular maintenance checks on their roof. Many Portland residents don’t know about the problem until it’s caused major, costly damage to their roof.
A few sights you can look out for if you suspect your roof is leaking include clear signs of water, especially in the walls or carpet. You’ll also usually see water stains on the ceilings or water spots along the roof of exterior walls. Trapped moisture can be a clear indicator of roof moss. Because moss tends to grow in cool, damp places, the combination of shaded roof areas and water can be the perfect spot for moss to develop over time. You should be extra diligent when checking these areas.
Missing shingles or warped tiles will also expose your roof to the elements, putting you at risk of leaks. If there is excessive debris in your gutters, it’s hard for water to drip down your roof. The more water that backs up and stays on your roof, the easier it is to erode your roof until it gets a leak.
The obvious first step in preventing leaks in your roof is to keep it clean and clear of debris. But you should also make a habit of doing regular maintenance checks with a team of professionals. They will know exactly what to look for and how to identify any damage on your roof that the eye can’t see.
Portland Roof Leak Emergency Causes
To better help you avoid an emergency roof leak, we’ve put together a list of the most common issues Portland homeowners see in their roofs.
- Roof Skylights – Whether it’s due to poor installation, poor quality skylights or just negligence, we often see skylights causing major leaks in Portland homes. There is a solution, but you need to act fast to avoid major damage.
- Debris on Your Roof – Portland homes are usually built surrounded by beautiful trees and other landscaping elements. These add natural beauty to the homes, but it also makes it easy for roofs to collect dangerous debris. Keep your roof clean of debris to prevent leaks and damage.
- Animals – Small animals love to make your roof their home. Even the ones who don’t move in will walk, scratch and damage your roof. Over time, these small disruptions in your roof become the cause of an emergency leak.
- Roof Flashing – Experts will install roof flashing correctly to protect your home against any water. Unfortunately, not every roofer is an expert. Roof flashing that isn’t properly installed, maintained or repaired can lead to massive roof leaks.
- Clogged Gutters – All the debris that collects on your roof must go somewhere, usually in your gutters. If your gutters are clogged, moisture from snow and rain has nowhere to go. Standing water that pools on your roof will most definitely cause a major leak in your roof that will need immediate repairs.
Of course, on their own, these would be manageable issues. However, we see many Portland homeowners experience a few of these factors at once, making their roof maintenance a much bigger issue. Make sure that you contact a professional to get a thorough look at what the problem areas on your roof are and how you can help prevent major issues.
How to Prevent Your Roof From Leaking in Portland
There isn’t much you can do in the middle of a storm to prevent an emergency roof leak. In those moments, the best thing to do is contact a professional team who can respond quickly and efficiently.
If you’re looking to be proactive, schedule a roof maintenance appointment with our team of professionals. Depending on the material your roof is made of, you need to do a check every few years. During these inspections, you’ll get a good idea of what problems may arise, which should be addressed now and which you’re doing a great job of preventing. That way, when a major storm comes, you can trust that you’ve done everything you can to protect yourself and your belongings.
To learn more about the specific maintenance schedule you should be on how to extend the life of your roof and how to repair any problem areas, give us a call. We are here to help in emergency situations and for your routine checks.