Architectural Composition Shingles: They’ve come a long way baby!
Some call them asphalt shingles, or simply a “comp” roof. They have long been among the cheapest and most drab type of roofing material available.
That’s all changed in the last 20 years.
Asphalt shingles are currently the second most popular type of residential roofing material Roof Life installs (next to cedar) for a number of reasons: they come in a variety of colors, shapes, sizes and thickness, are durable (limited lifetime warranties are available), and can be repaired and maintained. They are also fire-resistant.
Today, 80% of the roofs we maintain for our clients are architectural composition shingles.
How long will an asphalt roof last?
The lifespan of asphalt shingles depends highly upon the environment.
Shingles in cooler climates such as the northern United States seem to last longer than those installed in the warmer climates.
Moss and fungus growth buildup as well as tree debris left for extended periods of time will shorten the life span of the roof.
Improper Attic Ventilation: The #1 Cause of Asphalt Shingle Roof Failure
Attic ventilation plays a critical role in the life expectancy of your asphalt shingle roof. Most roofing contractors fail to properly calculate your roof’s ventilation needs. Unfortunately, you might not notice the problem until it’s too late!
Problems from improper roof ventilation:
- A build-up of mold and mildew in your attic space caused by trapped humidity and heat
- Increased costs in cooling and heating of your home
- Decreased lifespan of your HVAC unit because it is working too hard
- Noticeable temperature/humidity differences between top-floor rooms and lower levels
- Cranky spouse from temperature/humidity differences between sleeping rooms and the rest of the house
- Your roofing manufacturer’s warranty to be VOIDED (the shingles won’t last if there is no way for heat/moisture to dissipate.)
Proper ventilation allows you to enjoy the full service life of your roof. Our experienced Roof Life consultants will check your current attic ventilation when they inspect your roof. If you think that improper roof ventilation is causing problems with your home, please arrange for a Roof Life consultant to inspect your system and give you a professional estimate for a permanent solution.
Why we Recommend Malarkey and CertainTeed
Roof Life guarantees that every square inch of work performed will comply with all of the manufacturer’s installation procedures on every product we use on your home. We are certified to install roofing for all the major asphalt roofing manufacturers.
Malarkey and Certainteed are two manufacturers we recommend. Here’s why:
- Manufactured and tested locally in Portland
- History of accountability (we’ve kept an eye on them since 1983)
- Industry leaders in technology
- They stand behind their products long after the installation
It’s important to use reliable products from reputable manufacturers. But it’s not enough. We cover your roof with our own transferable Lifetime Workmanship Warranty. That’s why we can say your roof is our roof.
Call today or fill out our roof replacement request on line.